We all know how important it is for your business or organization to have a presence online. When you first decide to set up your site – or when you decide to make a change in how the site is run – one of the most critical decisions you can make is whether the site will use a content management system (CMS).
A content management system allows you to make changes to your own site, even if you have little technical knowhow. Instead of calling up a developer every time you’d like to change some text, rates, or a phone number on your site, a CMS lets you log into an administration area with a username and password and make the change in an editor. Once you’ve made the changes, they’ll appear instantly on your site.
Features of most content management systems
Content management systems often feature rich text editors that allow you to style the text of your pages.
Most content management systems allow you to do a number of common tasks on your site.
- Adding and removing pages
- Editing pages in a WYSIWYG editor
- Inserting links and images on pages
- Customizing page titles and addresses
Reasons to use a CMS
There are a number of reasons why content management systems make a lot of sense for businesses.
- Save money: Instead of paying a web developer every time you want to change your site, you can make edits whenever you like.
- Save time: The changes you make in a CMS are published instantly; there’s no waiting hours (or days) for a change to be done.
- Stay in control: A CMS lets you have complete control of what’s on your site. If you want to add or remove a page, or if you’d like to change some text, it’s easy to do!
We’re about to release the latest version of our own advanced CMS, datAvenger Pro. Over the next couple of weeks we’ll feature more posts about content management and how to make the most of your site!
Here at Sephone we’ve had two content management products for quite a while: datAvenger and datAvenger lite. datAvenger lite has always been our basic content manager, and datAvenger provided more options for companies that need more control and flexibility. (We have a product comparison of the two products available on our site.)
With some of the latest additions to these products, we’ve realized that the names of these applications don’t reflect the companies aren’t as accurate as they could be. If you’ve visited the admin area for a datAvenger/datAvenger lite site today, you may have noticed that we’ve rolled out a name change to both applications. Here’s what you’ll see:
- If you’ve been working in datAvenger, your content management application is now called datAvenger Pro.
- If you currently use the latest version of datAvenger lite (the one with the blue header bar), your application is now simply called datAvenger.
You’ll see these changes in the text of the application, the logo, and references to the applications on our sites.
There are a few key points to keep in mind for this transition.
- The people who visit your site won’t be affected by this change at all. The only changes you’ll see are in the administration area of your site.
- The administration area will remain the same other than references to your application’s name. This change does not affect any functionality.
- Your invoices from us will reflect the name change, but the amount you are billed will not change. This is only a name change, not a pricing change.
Thank you for your understanding during this transition. Please contact us if you have any questions.